- 3 shallots, diced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup black lentils, rinsed
- 5-7 dried Shiitake mushroom caps
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 TB Ener-G, whisked with 1/8 cup water
- 2 tsp dried rubbed sage
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cracked pepper
- Bring three cups of water to a boil.
- Saute the diced shallots in a separate saute pan with oil over low heat.
- When the water boil, add in the lentils and dried shiitake caps and cover the pot.
- Boil for 18-20 minutes, then pour them into a fine-mesh strainer to drain and cool.
- Once cooled, remove the shiitake from the lentils and dice them up, discarding the tough stems.
- Place pistachios into a food processor and coarsely grind them.
- When your shallots are nicely caramelized. Add the shallots, lentils, diced shiitake caps, pistachios and parsley to a large bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add the vital wheat gluten and stir.
- Add the water/Energ-G mixture and stir for about two minutes with a strong fork to allow the gluten to develop.
- Add the sage, salt and pepper, stir until well combined.
- You can then either place the mixture in the refrigerator for a few hours or fry the burgers immediately.
- To fry the burgers, shape them into patties. Fry in a saute pan with a little olive oil for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until it is slightly browned.